The Premier Daniel Andrews has announced today the specifics of which businesses are closing up for the next six weeks in an effort to contain COVID-19.
After announcing the new State of Disaster last night, the Premier addressed the specifics during today’s Press Conference which goes into more detail upon the fate of many local businesses during the lockdown.
Shutting down from 11:59PM Wednesday, the list is as follows:
- Car Dealerships
- Furniture Stores
- Retail Hardware Stores (Click and Collect will be available for tradespeople only.)
- Electrical Goods Stores
- Department Stores
- Clothing Stores
- Antique Stores
- Food Courts
- Auction Houses
- Sex Shops (Brothels, Adult Entertainment)
- Mining Services (Excluding Coal, Oil, Gas, Petroleum, Mineral Mining, Metal Ore)
Wholesalers that deal with Motor Vehicle Sales/Parts, Furniture & Floor Coverings are also required to close under the new restrictions.
The Premier then went on to specify the following businesses would remain open:
- Grocery Stores
- Liquor Stores
- Service Stations
- Post Offices
- Agricultural Retailers
- Hardware Stores that cater to certain industries and services
- Banks (under the guise that online banking is unavailable)
- Telecommunications Services
- Those involved in the Front Line Response
- Newspaper, Television, Radio and Online Media/Broadcasting
The following businesses will be forced to scale back their work:
- Warehousing + Distribution
- Major Construction Sites (No more than 25% of the Normal Workforce)
- Minor Scale Construction (Maximum of 5 People)
The news comes fresh after the announcement of 429 New Cases, bringing Victoria’s total up to 6751 Active Cases.
Remember to Stay Safe and Stay Home.